[zfs-discuss] Re: Resilvering all disks in a zpool, size unchanged

Aneurin Price aneurin.price at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 11:59:20 EDT 2012

On 14 March 2012 15:13, Andrew Dunn <andrew.g.dunn at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is what the pool looks like now, when I re-imported it the pool started
> using the /dev/sdX convention:
>
> agd at alexandria:~$ sudo zpool status gather
>   pool: gather
>  state: ONLINE
>  scan: resilvered 423G in 2h9m with 0 errors on Sun Mar 11 18:24:55 2012
> config:
>
> NAME        STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM
> gather      ONLINE       0     0     0
>  mirror-0  ONLINE       0     0     0
>    sdf     ONLINE       0     0     0
>    sde     ONLINE       0     0     0
>
> errors: No known data errors
>
> Now when I run the command I see this:
>
> agd at alexandria:~$ sudo zpool online -e gather /dev/sdf
> : cannot relabel 'sdf1': unable to open device

That's interesting. On my pool, if I try something like
"$ sudo zpool online -e srv /dev/disk/by-id/scsi-SATA_ST2000DL003-9VT_5YD52NAZ"
It just returns without error, and with no output.
I don't know what the 'cannot relabel' error means, and I'm not sure
why it would be looking at sdf1 when you're trying to use the whole
disk - has anyone else seen this error?

> How should I offline the devices? One at a time?

Yes, like:

$ sudo zpool offline gather /dev/sde
$ sudo zpool online -e gather /dev/sde
$ sudo zpool offline gather /dev/sdf
$ sudo zpool online -e gather /dev/sdf

But I still wonder about that error you're getting...