[zfs-discuss] ZFS not auto-mounting on Ubuntu

Shamus Rask shamus at srask.ca
Sun May 6 22:07:02 EDT 2012

I've got a clean install of Ubuntu 12.04 and two HDDs I'm looking to
create a ZFS mirrored pool (non-bootable). I issued the following
sequence of commands:

~$ sudo aptitude install ubuntu-zfs
~$ sudo zpool create -f zfspool1 mirror <by-id-1> <by-id-2>

This worked, as verified by "zpool status". I then edited /etc/default/
zfs as per the notes and rebooted. When I issue "df -h", I do not see /
zfspool1 as a mount point. "zpool status" still shows a healthy pool.
If I do a "zfs mount -a", then a subsequent "df -h" now shows /
zfspool.

The only deviation I had to do was to add "-f" to my zpool create
command. Without it, I got an error:
invalid vdev specification
use '-f' to override the following errors:
/dev/disk/by-id/<by-=id-1> does not contain an EFI label but it may
contain partition information in the MBR.

Any help here?