[zfs-discuss] Latest ZFS update for Ubuntu may break sudo.

richard.rega at gmail.com richard.rega at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 17:54:07 EDT 2012

Status update.  First of all thanks for the replies.  I also found this:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo as a reference link for part of
solving this particular problem.

My larger problem is that I can't get into this system's recovery root
console.

When I boot the system and hit ESC or SHIFT nothing happens.  I believe it
is because long ago I set my GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true and other stuff
to zero within the /etc/default/grub file.  Since I can't use my 'sudo'
command to edit the file I'm back to square one.

This old system's motherboard also has some IDE issues so booting with a
LiveCD doesn't seem to be an option.

There are lots of SATA connections and that is what the primary hard drive
is connected to.  I could get an SATA CDROM drive, but I dunno if the mobo
will boot with that either.

It might be time for me to throw in the towel, rip out the hard drive, put
it into an external enclosure and edit configuration files with another
linux system.

Is the lesson in all this to take the time to set a separate last resort
root user password?  Is that even possible?  I thought Ubuntu and others
were trying to avoid this, while here I am, finding a situation where that
is exactly what I need to solve this software inflicted damage without
resorting to hardware modifications.