[zfs-discuss] What SATA controller should I buy?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Mon Nov 19 04:03:36 EST 2012

> What do you think about this card? For bigger storage, this should be
> a good choice:

Without having a clue what so ever about this card, I have some
reservations:

1. It's a HighPoint card - they deal (mostly?) in cheaper, lowend
cards.
2. 32 ports!? On a PCI-e/8x? I'm not sure exactly how much that would
be per port (in a high load situation, driving all ports simultaneous),
but I imagine smoke signals is faster! :)
    Basically, it doesn't matter how good the card is, it could be the
best and fastest card/processor in the world, but the bus won't be able
to push enough data to it to matter.

I still want one though, just for the sake of it! :)
--
... but you know as soon as Oracle starts waving its wallet at a
Company it's time to run - fast.