[zfs-discuss] Zpool on ZVOL

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Tue Nov 27 05:41:33 EST 2012

On Nov 27, 2012, at 11:36 AM, Fajar A. Nugraha wrote:

> It certainly is possible. However importing iscsi share on the host
> exporting it is not recommended (race/deadlock issues, etc).

Ah, so that's why my original setup didn't work!! :). I tried for weeks
to get that to work, but eventually took a spare Motherboard/CPU/Mem and
created my VM host (which have no disk, other than a 60GB SSD which it
boots from).

> The workaround is to use scst_local or tcm_loop (depending on which
> iscsi target you use). It's kinda like importing an iscsi-exported
> disk, but without any packets going to the network, and without the
> race/deadlock issue.

Cool. To bad I didn't know about this six months ago :). I assume
that 'scst_local' is for 'iSCSI Target' (sp?). Is that an external/third
party command? Not that I need it now, but it might be good to know...
--
Geologists recently discovered that "earthquakes" are
nothing more than Bruce Schneier and Chuck Norris