[zfs-discuss] booting ubuntu12.04/ppa initramfs mounts zfs but stops at init-bottom..done

Jonathan Proulx jon at jonproulx.com
Thu Nov 29 11:54:05 EST 2012

I now see what the problem is, though still poking at how to fix it.

I setup a number of zfs filesystems under $bootfs so I could apply
different options:

MOUNTPOINT
/
/boot
/etc
/home
/opt
/usr
/var
/var/cache
/var/log

the scripts in initramfs only mount $bootfs not it's children, since one of
it's children in my deployment is /etc when the initramfs does:

run-init /root /sbin/init < /root/dev/console > /root/dev/console 2>&1

init gets exec'ed in the correct root, but since /etc is empty it does
nothing and here I sit.  I'm going to take the easy way out and put /etc
back on $bootfs rather than it's own loosing my 2.64x compression on 3.8M
of files won't hurt too much...

-Jon