[zfs-discuss] LZ4 compression not living up to hype

Durval Menezes durval.menezes at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 06:47:57 EDT 2013

Hi Chris,

On Aug 1, 2013 6:43 AM, <chris at cptechconsulting.com> wrote:

> So im building a new home nas.  Ubuntu 12.04 w/ZFS.  Setup a new pool.
Copying files to pool over smb.

> LZ4 compression off averages 80MB/sec
>
> LZ4 compression on averages 50MB/sec

I think a 38% slowdown is indeed cause for concern.

Please post details of your testing: the file corpus used, the compression
factor ZFS attained in the end, how did you copy them (eg: cp from another
Ubuntu machine in the network, copy/paste in file explorer on a windows
client running in a VM, etc).

> I read all this praise about how great LZ4 was but I didn't expect this
big of performance hit.  Anyone else not seeing LZ4 perform well?  Also, im
running this on desktop level commodity hardware, maybe that has something
to do with it?

Please post details of your hardware, specially the CPU.

Cheers,
--
   Durval.