[zfs-discuss] Advice on ZFS boot build

Schlacta, Christ aarcane at aarcane.org
Fri Aug 2 10:40:14 EDT 2013

Use two zpools. One on ssd for the rpool, one on the 750 for data. Mount
/home out of the second zpool. Use zram for l2arc and don't forget lz4
compression. Mostly, I'm going to say to follow rlaager 's zfsroot guide
and adjusting it for your system. Finally, with those vms, consider running
carving out 1GiB of your SSD as a partition for ZIL for your 750 pool.

One other thought occurs to me. Keep good backups, including using zfs send
to backup your rpool to your 750 drive. Consider trying to set it up so you
can boot to either pool in case of disaster.  If you achieve this, please
report the details of your setup.