[zfs-discuss] ZFS NAS build: hardware recommendations.

Omen Wild omen.wild at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 14:46:16 EDT 2013

Quoting Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at bayour.com> on Mon, Aug 05 19:55:

> It's not supposed to. I've NEVER seen a disk that's been told to write
> (store) one thing, but writes (stores) something else.

I don't know if that is what happened to me, but I had a file, written in
the middle of June that had checksum errors reading back in the middle of
July. "Luckily" it was just a secondary backup so I could dump the data
and re-backup but it was quite a surprise when it happened and made me
triply glad I'm paranoid enough to use ZFS.

This is a disk that I badblock'd when it went live as a low volume,
personal backup drive and shows no SMART errors and has passed an
extended SMART test in the last couple days.

Western Digital Red (WDC WD30EFRX-68AX9N0) if it makes a difference. I
have a couple other REDs (in other computers) that haven't shown any
issues.

--
Stult's Report: Our problems are mostly behind us.
What we have to do now is fight the solutions.