[zfs-discuss] ZFS NAS build: hardware recommendations.

Allen Chan Allen.Chan at five9.com
Wed Aug 7 19:09:24 EDT 2013

Hajo,

I assume you run the badblocks test before building the zpool?
Why break after first error?

Thank,
Allen Chan

On 8/5/13 10:33 AM, "Hajo Möller" <dasjoe at gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On 05.08.2013 18:38, Turbo Fredriksson wrote:
>> I basically just writes zeros from start to finish in a loop a few
>> days.
>
>Which is more or less what badblocks does, when run as a write test.
>It writes four full passes of 0xaa (10101010), 0x55 (01010101), 0xff
>(11111111) and 0x00 (00000000) to the disk. After each full write it
>reads the whole disk back and tells you about sectors which do not
>contain the pattern it just wrote to the disk.
>
>I usually run badblocks like this to check a disk for errors:
>badblocks -svwe 1 -b 4096 -c 1024 /dev/sdX
>
>-s: show progress
>-v: be verbose
>-w: destructive(!) write test
>-e 1: break after first error
>-b 4096: set block size to 4096 bytes
>-c 1024: operate on 1024 blocks at the same time
>
>>> Memory: Kingston 32GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM ECC Unbuffered DDR3 1333
>>>Server
>>
>> If you're going to use dedup, and can afford more memory (and the
>> MB can take it), go for it. Using dedup, you can never have to much :).
>> More is better...
>
>I agree, but an E3-1230 v3 doesn't support more than 32 GB:
>http://ark.intel.com/products/75054/
>
>Nor does the X10SL7-F:
>http://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon/C220/X10SL7-F.cfm
>
>I would not run a pool with dedup=on that hardware, and depending on
>required IOPS I'd set up a stripe of 3 mirror-vdevs or a raidz2 over 6
>drives.
>
>Make sure to use "-o ashift=12" when creating the vdevs, which forces
>ZFS to use a block size of 4K. The WD20EFRX advertises itself as having
>512 byte sectors, whereas it physically has 4096 byte sectors.
>

>--
>Cheers,
>Hajo Möller

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any files attached may contain confidential information of Five9 and/or its affiliated entities. Access by the intended recipient only is authorized. Any liability arising from any party acting, or refraining from acting, on any information contained in this e-mail is hereby excluded. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, destroy the original transmission and its attachments and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Copyright in this e-mail and any attachments belongs to Five9 and/or its affiliated entities.