[zfs-discuss] Correct/best procedure to replace a dying (but still working) disk ?

Joachim Grunwald gruni at gruni.com
Fri Aug 9 20:51:55 EDT 2013

I've been using ZoL for more than a year and now comes the time I NEED
its redundancy!!!

But I am wondering what is the correct or best way to replace a dying,
but still working drive.

I am running Fedora 14 64 Bit and manually compiled ZoL 0.6.0-rc11
(planning to move to Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS)

I did a few attempts I added the new drive to the pool with *zpool -f
add raid-z**/dev/sdk*
And attempts to use replace (before and after it was added to the pool)

Latest situation (zpool status):

    *  pool: raid-z*
    * state: ONLINE*
    * scan: resilvered 4K in 0h0m with 0 errors on Fri Aug  9 17:09:13 2013*
    *config:*

    *        NAME                          STATE     READ WRITE CKSUM*
    *        raid-z                        ONLINE       0 0     0*
    *          raidz2-0                    ONLINE       0 0     0*
    *            sda                       ONLINE       0 0     0*
    *            sdb                       ONLINE       0 0     0*
    *            sdc                       ONLINE       0 0     0*
    *            sdd                       ONLINE       0 0     0*
    *            sdg                       ONLINE       0 0     0*
    *            ata-ST9500420AS_5VJ848CC  ONLINE       0 0     0*
    *          sdk                         ONLINE       0 0     0*

    *errors: No known data errors*

I know that drives sdb and sdd have many relocated block, so they are
likely to fail soon. Still gives me enough redundancy.

I am also wondering if the new disk sdk will be filled with data outside
the raid as a RAID0 combination of the raidz2-0 pool and sdk? Which I
obviously do not want!!!

So what is the correct procedure to replace the for example sdb ?

Sorry for maybe asking this very stupid questions.
Regards,
Joachim