[zfs-discuss] Compression test

Sander Klein roedie at roedie.nl
Sun Aug 11 09:01:00 EDT 2013

Hi,

I did some tests with compression and ZFS to determine which
compression is good enough for our backup strategy. But, I just share
them in case anyone is interested. My conclusion was that I will enable
lz4 compression on our production storage since the overhead is
negligible and for our backup environment I will use gzip-1. Time and
compressionratio was important for me.

The file set was 3.6TB in size and contained only images in various
formats. I had one volume containing the uncompressed data and copied it
to new volumes with the correct compression enabled.

The data:

No Compress (baseline):

real    144m7.809s
user    0m12.441s