[zfs-discuss] Write Caching Without BBU

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 20:22:22 EDT 2013

I tend to avoid caching controllers, but one fell in my lap the other
day (LSI 8408E), and it doesn't have a BBU on it, so I'm vaguely curious
as to just how much damage can one expect to be done to a ZFS pool if
the power is cut. Is the pool likely to end up completely unrecoverable
in most cases (with write re-ordering, all bets are off, right?)? Or is
it mostly going to be a case of importing it with -X and waiting a day
or two for it to find the last known healthy state?

Of course, one might expect the controller to be smart enough to not
re-order the writes if there's no BBU even if it is doing the caching,
but that seems like rather too bold an assumption to be making.

Gordan