[zfs-discuss] Root ZFS boot slow - ubuntu 12.04

phil marsh marsh.pf at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 22:03:15 EDT 2013

Hi Darik and all again,
However, I now suspect (just a guess) that if one changes the Zpool
configuration of the boot directory, that then the ZFS kernal module must
be re-installed because I think that the ZFS kernal is imprinted with the
local ZFS pool environment at the time of building and not after. After
building, one can construct new ZFS pools but the ZFS module and kernal
won't know about them and would not be able to use them to boot. I wonder
how else could the ZFS kernal module discover and retain the "knowledge" of
the ZFS pools between reboots?
Would mean that one could not change the structure of ZFS pools that
existed at the time of ZFS module building because the ZFS kernal module
would think they're there - even if they'd been changed?
I'm curious.
Thanks,
Phil