[zfs-discuss] Performance and stability difference between writing to a zvol and a zfs file

Ryan How ryan at zbit.net.au
Tue May 7 01:26:29 EDT 2013

I tried to make it disappear again. It didn't disappear, but after
writing it went super speed.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/zvol/pool/testzvol bs=4k
^C1241918+0 records in
1241918+0 records out
5086896128 bytes (5.1 GB) copied, 2.2908 s, 2.2 GB/s

I guess something is being smart and it knows I just wrote zeros to it?
I don't have compression or dedup enabled.

Tried writing from /dev/urandom . No activity in zpool iostat. So not
sure where the write is going. Limited speed, but that would be urandom.
Then tried writing again with /dev/zero and it was still super speed
(Thought maybe it was skipping writes because the data was already there)

Seems I have an issue :/

I'll try testing on the ubuntu build you suggested. Might be some kernel
version or config or something?

You don't get the same buffering / hanging effect I am getting?

Thanks, Ryan