[zfs-discuss] "Compression" restriction on root pool sub-datasets?

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Sat May 18 04:44:05 EDT 2013

--
Try not. Do. Or do not. There is no try!
- Yoda
On May 18, 2013, at 1:39 AM, atomjack at gmail.com wrote:

> Turbo, is there any way you could provide some instructions on how to do a native ZFS install? The only guide I've found (https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem) says to use a separate ext4 partition for /boot and I'd rather not do it that way (right now I've got my whole boot partition set up as a mdadm raid-1, so my root zpool will be a mirror).

Not anything that is easy to understand or easy to do.

It requires to get the GIT repositories on a bunch of Debian GNU/Linux
installer components, fetch a few patches in my repositories and then
rebuild them and THEN build an installer image with ZoL on it...

I'll attach the log which include component, git url to my repository
and the commits I've done to those repositories.

From that, you'll have to know what you're doing and eventually you'll
end up building a bootable image. Hint: correct 'make' command in the
debian-installer/build directory.

Oh, and you'll need a local package repository...

All these commits have been sent to the relevant parties, and hopefully
they'll be accepted and doing a ZFS native install 'from scratch' will just
work...