[zfs-discuss] slow zfs

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Sat May 18 17:51:18 EDT 2013

On May 18, 2013, at 11:42 PM, Tamas Papp wrote:

> Nobody?
>
> If that's the case, I just destroy the FS.

You have been warned - dedup requires a lot of memory. It's
everywhere in the documentation, and it is not a joke.

This is the way ZFS was _designed_. It's not just something
someone discovered and said 'oh, we should warn people about
this'. No, it was one of the core base design options.

Also, ZFS works really, really bad on a 32bit platform. This
is ALSO a design decision, and not a coincidence.

Buy modern hardware. It doesn't cost much to get a modern
mother board, enough memory and a CPU. If you can't afford
that, don't try to use top of the line software.
--
There are no dumb questions,
unless a customer is asking them.