[zfs-discuss] Re: Copying a file from one ZFS to another starves all other processes

RangerRick rbraddy at gmail.com
Sun May 19 11:36:35 EDT 2013

Hi Ryan,

What version of Linux are you running?  We have many hundreds of customers
using ZOL with SoftNAS and have had no such issues with ZOL on CentOS 6.x.

However, I have seen something similar to what you describe occur when
files are copied to and from the LOCAL filesystem (non-ZFS) only on a ZOL
system.  Local filesystem caching appears to put pressure on available
memory, which in turn causes what appears to be a lockup until that memory
pressure is relieved.  We have not observed this when the files being
copied are ZFS to ZFS - only if done on the root filesystem, which is
non-ZFS.  As we do not use the root filesystem for file sharing, we do not
encounter this in practice.

Rick