[zfs-discuss] Zfs root on ubuntu 13.04 - kernel panic in init

nejc.gasper at gmail.com nejc.gasper at gmail.com
Sun May 26 04:20:45 EDT 2013

So this happens on a normal boot:

run-init: nuking initramfs contents: Directory not empty
[ 5.... ] Kernel panic - not synching: Attempted to kill init!
exitcode=0x00000100

Funny part is if I just remove rpool=mypool parameter it will boot to
busybox (initrd) and I can zpool import and mount manually. Then everything
works just fine. I was mostly following this guide:
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/pkg-zfs/wiki/HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem

Oh and if I turn off quiet boot I get a bit more, but since I get the
kernel panic I have no clue how to extract more of the init log.

I can see sd devices detected and spl and zfs modules loaded. Imporint root
pool, then zd0 unknown partition table. Then it gets root mountpoint from
bootfs property and mounts root. After running /scripts/local-bottom the
above message appears.

I am guessing something is happening too fast. Where would I put the delay?