[zfs-discuss] memory issues

Liam lslusser at gmail.com
Tue May 28 20:26:00 EDT 2013

Hello All -

I'm having a problem with memory usage after a 3 or 4 day uptime.  We have
already set the ARC cache in /etc/modprobe/zfs.conf to limit memory to a
minimum of 2g and a maximum of 4g.  The servers have 16g of physical
memory.  Our memory usage is flat until after 3 or 4 days where the usage
start to increase until it starts to swap and then needs a hard reboot.

Centos 6.4 2.6.32-358.0.1.el6.x86_64
zfs 0.6.1-1.el6

We aren't using compression, dedup, raidz or anything like that.  Its a
single physical raid6 partition of about 4.5tb.

When the servers start having memory issues its somewhere in the kernel as
none of the user processes are using that much memory.  Where do I start in
debugging this issue, how can I view ZFS's memory usage by process?

zfs.conf options: options zfs zfs_prefetch_disable=1 zfs_txg_timeout=5
zfs_nocacheflush=1 zfs_arc_min=2147483648 zfs_arc_max=4294967296

thanks!
liam