[zfs-discuss] ZFS NAS build: hardware recommendations.

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Wed May 29 15:10:25 EDT 2013

On 05/29/2013 07:43 PM, Tamas Papp wrote:
> On 05/29/2013 09:28 AM, Gordan Bobic wrote:
>>
>> On 05/29/2013 06:13 AM, Schlacta, Christ wrote:
>>
>>> What capacity do you need? I'd say look for WD black or red drives. I've
>>> had good luck with the blacks so far and have heard nothing bad about
>>> the reds. Failing that, quality is a bit of a crapshoot from model to
>>> model and run to run.
>>
>> +1
>>
>> I find Seagate's warranty support to be the most hassle free. For most
>> other manufacturers even finding the warranty information on their
>> website is a challenge. Disks fail, often within warranty - you don't
>> want the hassle of spending hours getting an RMA arranged.
>>
>> Seagate, Toshiba and Hitachi disks are also, in my experience, the
>> least untrustworthy when it comes to their on-board SMART data. WD and
>> Samsung are the worst.
>>
>> Sadly, since Seagate bought Samsung and WD bouth Hitachi, all bets are
>> off nowdays.
>
> I don't get the point. Which one is good enough?:)

As far as I can tell, it largely comes down to luck because independent
statistics for models currently in production are not easily available.
My experience of disks being unreliable generally shows that reliability
problems tend to affect specific disk models rather than manufacturers.
Issues with lying SMART stats were more manufacturer specific (several
WD and Samsung models I have were affected). Unfortunately, those two
now taint the other two, following the recent take-overs in the industry.

Bottom line? all other things being equal, buy on warranty length, if
there is any difference in warranty length between manufacturers in your
country. Warranty being equal, I'd tend to go for Seagate purely because
their warranty service is reasonably quick and hassle free; OTOH I can
only vouch for this because I have exercised it extensively over the
recent years...

Gordan