[zfs-discuss] ZFS NAS build: hardware recommendations.

Gregor Kopka gregor at kopka.net
Thu May 30 03:12:14 EDT 2013

Am 29.05.2013 21:10, schrieb Turbo Fredriksson:
> That said, I've been using Seagate (not green) exclusively at home for
> many, many years, and as long as they survive the first week (25% of
> the disks I buy are dead on arrival, 25-35% die within the first few days
> and a few of them die within the first two weeks), they are rock solid!

With this fail rates (especially the dead on arrival ones) i can only
suggest to change the place you buy the drives from.

In the last five years i bought roughly 150 drives (about half of them
Seagate) which all went into production (about 30% into 24/7, rest 10/5)
and had only two of them DoA: one Samsung 320GB which i dropped by
accident (still in bag).

This is anecdotal evidence from my experience, but in case you have >50%
dead within a week something is imho going very wrong with your supply
chain.

Gregor