[zfs-discuss] ZFS NAS build: hardware recommendations.

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Thu May 30 05:21:57 EDT 2013

On 05/30/2013 08:12 AM, Gregor Kopka wrote:

> Am 29.05.2013 21:10, schrieb Turbo Fredriksson:
>> That said, I've been using Seagate (not green) exclusively at home for
>> many, many years, and as long as they survive the first week (25% of
>> the disks I buy are dead on arrival, 25-35% die within the first few days
>> and a few of them die within the first two weeks), they are rock solid!
>
> With this fail rates (especially the dead on arrival ones) i can only
> suggest to change the place you buy the drives from.

It's down to the particular model. Nothing to do with the source. I
found that ST31000340AS drives statistically die approximately 2-3 times
within their original 5 year warranty period. The first purchase could
have been the source. The warranty replacements less likely so.

> In the last five years i bought roughly 150 drives (about half of them
> Seagate) which all went into production (about 30% into 24/7, rest 10/5)
> and had only two of them DoA: one Samsung 320GB which i dropped by
> accident (still in bag).

I have only ever had one DoA disk in the past 10 years - an IBM
Deskstar. I never had one of that model fail over the next 8 years in
24/7 production environment.

> This is anecdotal evidence from my experience, but in case you have >50%
> dead within a week something is imho going very wrong with your supply
> chain.

I wouldn't say 50%, more like 5-6%, and those that died within a week
have been refurb warranty replacements.

Gordan