[zfs-discuss] Re: rm -rf deletes the file from the filesystem but ZFS does not free the data as evidenced by df -h

Tim Chase tim at chase2k.com
Wed Oct 2 16:27:04 EDT 2013

Hello,

If the files in question have xattrs (selinux or other), you're likely
hitting this one:
> https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/1548
I've been planning on attacking this one for some time now but haven't
had enough time to give it the attention it needs.  There were a number
of changes made to the way that ZoL frees the hidden directory and
file(s) associated with extended attributes and as a result of those
changes, the space will not be freed in most cases until a mount/umount
cycle.

By-and-large, this problem is worked around in ZoL by using xattr=sa.
In fact, if I was using a system that depended on xattrs at all, I'd
certainly use xattr=sa because the overall performance in general will
be substantially higher.

     - Tim