[zfs-discuss] Government shutdown and future of ZOL

Uncle Stoat stoatwblr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 7 10:28:03 EDT 2013

On 07/10/13 14:53, Micky wrote:
> LOL. I hope it is not as serious as you guys make it look. But seeing
> the government sites go down one by one, including my all time
> favorite nasa.gov, scared the bajesus outa me!!!!

I don't want to fan the flames of USA politics but most of these
shutdowns are more theatre than anything else - as a f'instance the
shutdown of national parks resulted in all park rangers being called on
duty to keep the public out (all leave cancelled).

It was well semaphored around late 2010 that "certain groups" wanted to
force a federal shutdown for their own reasons and I strongly suspect
the net effect will be a lot of blowback on members of those groups.

As Richard has said, LLNL won't be affected for a while - and this
standoff will be over before the USA govt starts defaulting on its
foreign debts, no matter how many brinkmanship games are played (Those
who play such games are likely to find themselves pushed over a
political cliff, no matter which part of the political spectrum they occupy)