[zfs-discuss] ZOL Caveats in Production

Uncle Stoat stoatwblr at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 11:05:18 EDT 2013

On 08/10/13 10:46, Micky Martin wrote:
> We all know that ZOL has tendency to frequent crashes.

Not in my experience.

 >What's the single most worst crash you have had with ZOL and what did
you learn in the process (if you were able to fix or botch fix)?

My LSI SAS2008 raid card  (Intel RS2WC080) isn't happy running in JBOD
mode and locks up individual ports or entirely every couple of weeks.
That's not a ZFS issue, but ZFS recovers perfectly every time.

_ALL_ my ZFS "issues" have been hardware related. Even when the ZIL
drive went bad I was able to recover the ZFS filesystem.

If you're seeing lots of crashes: Have you checked the stability of your
power supplies and if they're ok, are you using ECC ram or consumer ram?