[zfs-discuss] ZOL + SATA + Interposers + SAS Expanders is bad Mkay

Marcus Sorensen shadowsor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 16:36:30 EDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 11, 2013 at 2:25 PM, Chris Siebenmann <cks at cs.toronto.edu> wrote:
> | Since SAS support on desktop motherboards seems to be increasing &
> | improving and consumer price of NL-SAS is approaching parity with SATA
> | (at least, so I believe from a quick NewEgg search), I hope we can
> | eventually do away with the SATA altogether.
>
>  We recently went through a preliminary pricing exercise for 2TB 7200
> RPM disks and as far as we could determine the price difference between
> 5-year warranty SATA disks and NL-SAS drives was still enough to be
> prohibitive in bulk for our budget levels.

Yes, if you compare NL-SAS to 'Enterprise' SATA, the cost is almost
negligible ($15 on a ~$350 drive for 4TB), but if you're just
comparing to a SATA disk with a decent feature set like WD Se or Red,
it's still almost double the price (these can be had in 4T for ~$200).
It depends on what your need is though.