[zfs-discuss] Re: ubuntu-13.04-server-amd64 crashed during ubuntu-13.10-server-amd64 dist upgrade. Need advise for best recovery approach.

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Sat Oct 19 15:21:47 EDT 2013

On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM, Chris Hall <chris.c.hall at gmail.com> wrote:

> I hit tab+enter and it posted too early:
>
> Here are my options:
> 1. Spend time recovering the system.
> 2. Install 13.10 from USB and then import my pool.

You could have a third option depending on where the upgrade was
interrupted.  Hold the left <shift> button during POST to get the grub menu
and look for an older or previous kernel entry.  You want to start the
system from a backup initrd that still has the old boot materials.

Past that, if the system was indeed damaged during the upgrade to saucy,
then option #2 is more tightly bounded for time and a good result.

However, I did not export my pool before my system went down. Do I run any
> risk by not recovering my previous system?

No, just delete the stale /etc/zfs/zpool.cache file if you reuse the /etc
tree.  Reinstalling the system root is much like moving a pool between
machines.  Doing the export before is preferred, but not strictly required.

--
Darik Horn <dajhorn at vanadac.com>