Serving the same filesystem concurrently over multiple protocols (Was: Re: [zfs-discuss] Lustre and ZFS)

Uncle Stoatwarbler stoatwblr at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 04:56:47 EDT 2013

On 19/10/13 12:02, Durval Menezes wrote:

> Then why not just use one of the userspace implementations, at least for
> those servers you need to serve data concurrently over other protocols?

Because they don't work and/or aren't available in distros like Redhat.

(I'm tied to using it for "support" reasons - no choice in the matter(*))

As far as I can tell the userspace implementation hasn't had any work
done on it since 1995.

> As far as I know they have never stopped working, even after Linux got
> its in-kernel  nfsd. Just compile a kernel without it and start the
> userland daemons...

There's no guarantee the current userspace implementation is any better
behaved. It's been a long time since it was actively worked on.

(*) FSVO "support". Redhat need a brick to the side of the head
regarding a lot of areas, but my hands are tied.