[zfs-discuss] Re: Very newbie question

strntydog at gmail.com strntydog at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 02:05:43 EDT 2013

>>> 1. ... system that has *only* ZFS drives.

The system will be very stable and run fine after boot.  The problem isnt
ZFS per-se. but grub2's ZFS implementation, which is not the same as ZoL
and is not as reliable, or as well tested or as feature complete.

I can personally attest that during zfs upgrades or grub2 upgrades its
always a "cross the fingers" scenario for me when rebooting.  Sometimes it
works fine, sometimes I am  hosed and trying to get it booting using grub
command line.
It sub optimal, but what i now do is put a cheap usb thumb drive in a usb
holes and use it for /boot with ext2.  It should be possible to use 2 thumb
drives and have a /boot and /boot2 if you really need mirroring on it.  I
only do this so that when i feel comfortable with gub2 stability i can just

For me, some or all of this may relate to 2 below but i don't know for sure.

>>> 2. I have read that one should give ZFS the entire drive(s), ,,, What
penalty does one pay for placing partitions rather than entire drives under
ZFS control?

Potentially a very heavy one.  If you layout your partitions in a bad way
it can totally confuse zfs.  This happened to me and i now have to rebuild
a server because the pool became unrecoverable after zpool became
hopelessly confused.  What happens is if you have a partition which ends at
the end of the drive, and it contains zfs metadata, zfs will not reliably
be able to determine if the true "whole drive"  (/dev/sda) is the zpool
device or if its just the last partition (/dev/sda2) which contains that
metadata.  When that happens on import zpool will fail because it says the
pool devices are faulted.  I had this happen to two seperate machines, and
it is the same under ZoL as illumos (which i tested).  A simple
"workaround"  to force an import is to make a "/dev/disk-by-parts" which
only has partitions in it and not full devices and then tell zpool to use
that with '-d'.  That works, but you cant have that at boot, and so things
get bad when you reboot, it will also probably fail if its a secondary pool
when zfs tries to 'mount -a' during booting.  If you must make your own
partitions, make sure the last physical partition on the drive is NOT a zfs
pool partition.

The 8MB partition Zpool makes when giving it full devices eliminates the
possibility of Zpool confusing a partition from a whole device containing
zfs.  I think thats one of its main purposes.