[zfs-discuss] Re: NVMe (NVM express, SATA 3.2) support in ZFS

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 03:36:02 EDT 2013

On 10/28/2013 02:07 AM, Uncle Stoatwarbler wrote:
> On 27/10/13 23:37, Andrew Holway wrote:
>>> Going to look at Gentoo soon.
>>
>> Centos seems to be the most reasonable option. I installed the RPMs
>> and was up and running in minutes.
>>
>> Slightly ancient kernels in EL however. I don"t know how much this
>> affects things.
>
> The version numbers in EL are misleading at best.
>
> In order to keep thing at the same version number, Redhat heavily
> backport features from newer versions (kernels and other packages),
> which means that you have to be _extremely_ careful about building
> packages for EL systems or assuming that kernel x.y.z really is that old
> internally.

Having ported EL6 to ARM (RedSleeve), I haven't actually found any
packages that are that are particularly sensitive to kernel versions.
The closest I have seen to this behaviour is with some 3rd party driver
sources requiring a kernel newer than a certain version, but this is
pretty obscure and doesn't apply to anything that ships with EL6.

> Effectively the Redhat environment is a patch nightmare which is only
> consistent if you approach things in exactly the same manner as they do.

If this is a gripe about the build system, I found the Debian build
system to be worse and more fragile last time I had to get my hands
dirty with it.

If you are referring to the kernel situation, since most ARM devices run
with their own, different, proprietary kernels, I have yet to see one
not work with the RedSleeve userspace due to running a different
(usually much newer) kernel. For example, running the Samsung Chromebook
with it's 3.4.0 kernel and RS userspace works lovely, with no issues
whatsoever.

Gordan