[zfs-discuss] Need help fixing... ???

UbuntuNewbie chessdoter at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 31 03:48:49 EDT 2013

Hello list,

 Well, it is purely for ZoL that i changed my main OS (and hardware) a
couple of years ago, and - even though i am only a simple user - i am very
happy with that decision!

Only recently i ran into several (mostly minor) problems, the most severe i
want to lay out here:

Background:
On my Ubuntu LTS System, running from a small SSD partition, i do regularly
run an rsync (from /) into a raidz pool on spinning rust. There, i take
snapshots and also run backups from there (send/recv).

Problem:
from a couple of days ago, one rsync produced a write error (writing into
the pool) and created a state, that inhibits further working with this
setup. (To be fair: i dont know, if rsync was the culprit or maybe zfs?
Anyway, the damage done needs to be fixed...)

Observations/Procedures:
TWO files couldnt be written, at least their directory entry/inode seams to
be corrupted. As in

$ ll -a
ls: Zugriff auf mach-gt64120.h nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
gefunden
ls: Zugriff auf mc146818rtc.h nicht möglich: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht
gefunden
insgesamt 22
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root  4 Okt 29 09:47 ./
drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 32 Okt 22 04:15 ../
-?????????  ? ?    ?     ?            ? mach-gt64120.h
-?????????  ? ?    ?     ?            ? mc146818rtc.h

As deleting wasnt possible, see:

$ cd ..;sudo rm -Rv mach-malta-old/
rm: das Entfernen von »mach-malta-old/mach-gt64120.h“ ist nicht möglich:
Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
rm: das Entfernen von »mach-malta-old/mc146818rtc.h“ ist nicht möglich:
Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden

I chose to move the directory to another place inside this filesystem.

But how to get rid of it?
I came up with zfs send > file;zfs recv < file
but that produced an abortion during zfs recv stating the file would be
corrupted and have checksum errors.
Next, i did a scrub on the whole pool containing the filesystem, which
ended without any errors or actions.
That is where i am at now.

Questions:
my plan to destroy the filesystem and to replace it with an intact one
failed. How should i proceed instead to fix the current state?
my scripts (to create the OS backup & snapshots, and later back them up to
external media) have been running since a long time. the latest change
though was:
i included --inplace parameter to the rsync (as suggested in some other
post on this list), and that did work fine for several weeks. What actions
should i take to possibly prevent this issue from coming up again?
Any diagnosis suggested/recommended (please keep in mind, i am ONLY a user)

Thx in advance. The other questions/problems, i will write a different post
for.
cheers, U.N.