[zfs-discuss] spl/zfs-0.6.2 released

Darik Horn dajhorn at vanadac.com
Tue Sep 3 09:44:54 EDT 2013

On Sep 2, 2013 3:43 PM, <florian_ernst at gmx.net> wrote:

> First of all: thanks a lot for the Debian packaging service you had
provided so far!

Welcome.

> I merely write to point out that http://zfsonlinux.org/debian.html still
claims to provide
> "packages [which] track the latest official upstream tag and are
refreshed as new
> releases are made available", which, in the light of your statement as
above, might
> confuse users. I, for one, would however very much like to see such a
service
> continued, and following your statement I have just inquired for support
plans - if
> any - for ZoL on Debian Wheezy from the Debian ZFS team. Let's see what
they
> have to say ...

I wrote what you quoted.   The current situation since that page was last
updated is:

1.  I wanted the Debian maintainer job, but didn't get it.  This
consequently ended some patronage for Debian.

2.  Aron Xu is paid to work on the Debian packaging, and I won't pro bono
my contribution when I know that it is revenue generator for another
developer.

3.  The Debian executive recently rejected the ZoL submission (in part)
because it has an upgrade mechanism for repo users and tries to maintain
compatibility with other distributions.   This makes building for Debian
more expensive and less fun.

Given that Aron Xu <aron at debian.org> took the leadership position from me,
it is now incumbent on him to update the support statement and, going
forward, to handle the support function.