[zfs-discuss] Exercise care today's update to initramfs tools on Ubuntu 12.04

Daniel Davis ddavis at fedora-commons.org
Fri Sep 6 09:49:02 EDT 2013

AFAIK the newer ISO downloads of Ubuntu 12.04 include the 3.5 kernel by
default (though you can still get a 3.2 ISO).  Also there is a "long
term support" upgrade path for existing installations from 3.2 to 3.5
(plus the quantal X11 stack).  I have installations from the new ISO,
the old ISO upgraded, and some still on 12.04 with the 3.2 kernel.  I am
sure this is providing a nice little corner case for all kinds of
updates for 12.04 and, since new initramfs tools were the bulk of the
recent update, it certainly would be a suspect --- but the update script
rebuilt the 3.5.0-39 based initramfs.  It just did not quite incorporate
ZFS perfectly.

Given there is a simple workaround, I hoped the warning would useful.

Also, ZoL has been working for me like a champ on 12.04 with the 3.5
kernel, both new installations and upgraded ones (kudos to the devs),
since I plan to stay with 12.04 until the next LTS.

--
Dan Davis