[zfs-discuss] small ARM ZFS

Massimo Maggi massimo at mmmm.it
Thu Sep 19 20:15:11 EDT 2013

I was aware that somebody tried to use on RPi, so I spared an hour to see
how far could I go on a device with 2GB of ram.
And IF the end result would have been that every time I connect to my WiFi
network, the phone sends a full ZFS snapshot of its filesystem to my
NAS..... it would have been awesome :)
I'm perfectly aware that ZFS was not designed for mobile phones, but there
are other people trying to run it on ARM devices (
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/search?p=2&q=arm&ref=cmdform&type=Issues,
on RPi or CuBox) and the SPL contains some arm-specific code (
https://github.com/zfsonlinux/spl/blob/ea5c4389fb7183f036b38e5ba171ac5a05798c4d/module/spl/spl-generic.c#L218
 ).
And ARM architectures are going to exist in server market too.... (
http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/18/amd-seattle-arm-server-chip/).
Plus add the "Wine on Windows" argument added by Kudinov Andrey, and you
have a full view on the reasons why I decided to fill a bug on the official
bug tracker.
I know it's far from being the most important bug, but I think it still
might be useful to track it :)