[zfs-discuss] Are HGST (Hitachi) Ultrastar and Deskstar the exact same drive?

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 1 20:11:20 EST 2014

As Durval mentioned, the differences are most likely in the firmware, e.g.
TLER being enabled by default, Write-Read-Verify might be implemented, etc.
But physically, they quite likely are the same. It would be an interesting
experiment to flash the desktop drive with the firmware for a seemingly
identical enterprise drive.