[zfs-discuss] Are HGST (Hitachi) Ultrastar and Deskstar the exact same drive?

Joe Goldthwaite joe at goldthwaites.com
Tue Dec 2 02:03:31 EST 2014

One more thing I wanted to mention.  I purchased these drives from various
Amazon resellers. They're bulk drives, not in a retail box.  When checking
the Warranty of the Ultrastar I got this message; "Please return drive to
the point of purchase or system manufacturer."  I tried it with one of the
Deskstars and got the same thing.

I think Hitachi used to handle the warranty work directly. Now it looks
like they're making the non-retail drives go through the seller. Who knows
if my Amazon reseller will be in business if and when the drive fails.  I
got the drives cheap, about $65 each. I'll be really bummed if I can't get
a warranty replacement if the seller goes out of business.