[zfs-discuss] Update on my new media server. Ubuntu 14.04 vs. FreeNAS.

Joe Goldthwaite joe at goldthwaites.com
Tue Dec 2 09:30:00 EST 2014

I originally sent this on November 26 but I think it didn't go through for
some reason. I apologize if it goes through twice.

------

I finally got my second motherboard
<http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157475> and was
able to upgrade my old mediaserver box so that my home server and office
server are running the same hardware. My home system is running Ubuntu
14.04 the one at the office is running FreeNAS.

After booting up FreeNAS I was able to import the ZFS array from my old
configuration, create a Windows share and try copying some data over. On
the Ubuntu system I was getting 40 MB/Sec at best.  When I was copying the
same files to a windows shared directory I was getting almost 100 MB/Sec.
My first test with the new FreeNAS box was copying about 24 GB of media
files.  I got a consistent 95 MB/Sec.

When I was doing my testing on the Ubuntu machine it seemed like the
problem was related to the network.  Based on my initial test it looks like
FreeBSD has much better performance as a network server.

I'll keep playing with it to see how it does with lots of small files and
such but right now, I'm really happy with it.