[zfs-discuss] Re: beadm Linux port

Turbo Fredriksson turbo at bayour.com
Mon Dec 8 05:17:11 EST 2014

On Dec 8, 2014, at 11:14 AM, Stacey Pellegrino wrote:

> On 5 December 2014 at 22:17, Andrew Barnes <barnes333 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Does your beadm port from FreeBSD configure the Grub2 bootloader to be able to list an entry I have not added anything for interfacing with package management and agree it would be nice, but given lack of distro standards and different workflows on Linux, it's not something I personally have the time to tackle...
>
> ​Perhaps this would be a job for the various distro maintainers themselves? I bet the Gentoo community would be up for it before the mainstream distro vendors.

With https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/pull/2087, I have tried to create ONE tree of initrd scripts.
It can boot directly from a snapshot, so technically all that's needed for grub is something like:

	boot=zfs root=rpool/ROOT/rootfs at daily-20141202.0525

The PR have been tested with Debian GNU/Linux (Wheezy) and Fedora (20).
--
God gave man both a penis and a brain,
but unfortunately not enough blood supply