[zfs-discuss] Can I change the priority of ZoL's I/O threads?

Nikola M. minikola at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 07:47:31 EST 2014

On 12/23/14 06:04 PM, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> This is probably going to sound crazy, but is there any way to reduce
> the priority of ZoL's I/O pipeline threads a notch or two?
As I understand OpenZFS does not have options to handle application
bandwidth to disks.
Maybe you can use other ways to manage Linux processes per I/O bandwidth.

Only OS that I know that has such thing partially solved
is SmartOS with illumos kernel, that implement virtual machines in KVM
and in turn, those KVM machines run inside Solaris Zones.
SmartOS prioritize per-Zone I/O "disk throttling" and there you have it,
control of I/O per virtual machine (but not per OS itself).
If applications (copying) are run inside Solaris zones, they could be
isolated+throttled too, without VM, but operation and application needs
to be run from SmartOS/illumos (Solaris)
OmniOS had that implemented too but last time I checked they did not use
it anymore, just SmartOS. That is how Joyent cloud is made to work, Btw.