[zfs-discuss] ZFS - Backup server - recv send

Bertram Huber fffffff7 at web.de
Mon Jan 6 12:11:49 EST 2014

Hi,

I am just about done with my homeserver setup and my next task will be
to build a backup server. I bought a HP Proliant Microserver N54L and 4
2TB drives and would like to run a raidz1 on them. The plan is to wake
the Backup up once a week, send zvol snapshots via ssh to it, run a
scrub and put it back to sleep. My problem is: who should run the backup
command? The productive server, or the backup server? How do I do
authentication for ssh? Hardcode the password into a cron script?
Certificates?

Has someone already done something like this? Any ideas, hints, suggestions?

kind regards,

Bertram