[zfs-discuss] HOWTO-install-Ubuntu-to-a-Native-ZFS-Root-Filesystem

Schlacta, Christ aarcane at aarcane.org
Sun Jan 5 14:53:29 EST 2014

On Sun, Jan 5, 2014 at 11:22 AM, Turbo Fredriksson <turbo at bayour.com> wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2014, at 8:14 PM, Schlacta, Christ wrote:
>
> / # uname -r
> 3.2.0-4-rt-amd64
>

> ZoL won't compile on an RT kernel, so that's one of your problem. The
> other, the first, would be why
> debootstrap installed that kernel in the first place....
>
> What Live image did you use, and what VM system do you use?

So I'm running test installs on Oracle VM VirtualBox on my windows 7
ultrabook.  A similar ubuntu install didn't attempt to install an RT
kernel, but ubuntu makes the user manually select a kernel.

I ended up with a system with regular headers and rt kernel installed.  I
have no clue how that happened.  I maintain I did nothing to make it happen.
I chose debian-live-7.2-amd64-standard.iso .  It's the pure command line
live image. Typing uname -r shows 3.2.0-4-amd64.

I installed the non-rt kernel and headers and purged the rt kernel and
headers.  I think it'll work now.  I'll follow up later if it still doesn't
boot once this finishes.