[zfs-discuss] ZFS 0.6.5.3 seems to be using a LOT more processes than before

Durval Menezes durval.menezes at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 13:32:19 EST 2015

Hello,

On Mon, Dec 21, 2015 at 12:53 PM, Andrew Carlson via zfs-discuss <

> Hi all.
>
> I am running ZoL on Fedora 22 with Kernel 4.2.7-200, upgraded from
> 4.2.3-200.  I also at that time upgraded Zol to 0.6.5.3.  I have 5-1TB
> drives in a raid-z1.

Same situation here, with the same ZoL version running on kernel 2.6.32EL
(ie, the Redhat-patched EL6-clone kernel), and with mirror:

Nagios started alerting on too many processes.  I have 70 spl processes and
> 343 z_* processes.  Is this normal?

I think so, or if not, at least I'm in the same boat as you:

[root at jade ~]# ps auwx | grep z_ | wc -l
329
[root at jade ~]# ps auwx | grep spl | wc -l
73

I haven't noticed anything negative here (and my monitoring system has much
*larger* number-of-tasks limits configured, due to other stuff like Java,
tons of chrooted subsystems, etc).

It doesn't really seem to affect anything - for instance it doesn't seem to
> be taking much more CPU or memory, it's just seems a little odd.

I think these aren't properly processes but more like kernel
threads/"tasks", and they consume very little CPU/RAM, much less than the
"normal" userland processes  we're used to.

In your shoes, I would reconfigure Nagios to expand those limits and forget
about it (at least until I have evidence that it's causing *real* problems).

Cheers,
--
   Durval.