[zfs-discuss] 24 drives - what would you do?

Kash Pande kashpande at gmail.com
Sun May 17 15:37:45 EDT 2015

On 17/05/15 03:12 PM, scruffters via zfs-discuss wrote:
> I wonder if anybody would be kind enough to critique my plan for
> building a large pool of storage at home?
>
> I'm looking at obtaining a 24 drive enclosure and filling it with 4TB
> HGST NAS drives.

Just out of curiosity - 2.5" drives offer 2TB of storage in less space.
Have you considered using small form-factor disks with a higher density?

> On the ZFS side of things I'm planning to create a single ZFS pool,
> comprising of 4x RAID Z2 VDEVs (each over 6 drives).

Personally, I would do the mirrored approach despite the 50% storage
efficiency losses because rebuilding things from exact copies is always
going to be easier on the system than rebuilding from parity.

> My focus is as a large block of storage for storing quite a large
> dataset of stuff that I've gathered over the years. The reason I'm
> thinking of that design is because I can't really afford to have a 50%
> utilisation of a striped mirror.
Don't look at it as 50% vs 66%, it's more or less equal once the
negative consequences of parity are taken into account.. plus, raidz*
has an issue with inefficient space usage on ashift=12 array - those 4TB
are advanced format? In one case, 3TB out of a 30TB pool was simply lost
to storage inefficiency.

That said, 1M block size for the filesystem (large_blocks) would help
with this problem.

Because of its problems, raidz is not suitable for environments where
performance is of importance, though some people hear that and think,
"Oh I'm not looking for bleeding edge performance" they're really not
aware that simply scrubbing your pool with raidz2 or raidz3 will just be
absolutely horrible.

Raidz* resilvering has the penalty of parity calculation - and disks are
under greater load during rebuild as well.

In a n-way (2 disks per vdev or more) mirror setup you'll have each
disk  under less load, and less disks will be active. Despite this, the
resilver is generally much faster and your system is back on its feet
sooner, allowing you to backup data and feel safe once more.

Send/recv with raidz* pools will similarly suffer, especially when the
pool is fragmented and you're sending incremental streams, the recv side
can take a while to parse each stream as it does a lot of random IO
that's bad for raidz*.

I would only use raidz1,2,3 on environments where time to recovery is
not a problem. I'd generally use mirrors for my backup servers because I
dig that level of redundancy, but if I've got several backup boxes and
I'm needing a large archive to store long-term backups, then I might use
multiple 6 disk raidz2.

> The rack I'm looking at has an
> expander type backplane (single 8087), so I'll be using it with an LSI
> 9211-4i in IT mode.
>
> Would anybody advise against the above? It seems like quite a sane
> approach, but some advice would be gratefully received.
>
> Also, while I'm here, it appears that I can quite happily populate
> only half of the bays, then add the rest later, to increase both
> capacity and performance? (although it won't auto rebalance) Do I
> understand the concepts correctly?
>
> Thanks,

I would advise against this sort of thing with raidz, it doesn't deal
very nicely with being unbalanced - you are better off creating a new
pool or replacing your disks with larger ones one-at-a-time.

--
Kash Pande