[zfs-discuss] Grub error

Till Gerken till.gerken at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 16:50:37 EDT 2015

Hajo Möller <dasjoe at gmail.com> schrieb am Fr., 11. Sep. 2015 um 16:45 Uhr:

> I would do something like this:
> * boot an Xubuntu 14.04 live CD (any other live Ubuntu would work, too)
> * install ubuntu-zfs via "add-apt-repository ppa:zfs-native/stable"
> * import the pool under /mnt
> * snapshot the pool
> * chroot into /mnt
> * upgrade from precise to trusty with "do-release-upgrade"
> * re-enable ppa:zfs-native/stable, then apt-get update, apt-get
> dist-upgrade
> * check for built modules by looking at "dkms status"
> * snapshot again
> * reboot
>
> Do *not* run "zpool upgrade", it would enable feature flags which grub
> doesn't understand yet.

Tried to do just that. I ran into several bumps and got stuck at a grub
error again. Current system status is as following:

- do-release-upgrade broke with a grub-related error (canonical devices not
found)
- I used the udev rules from the howto, updated grub within the chroot
successfully, rebooted
- Grub now shows a console prompt but no menu

On the grub console, I can boot the system just fine by manually selecting
the kernel and initramfs. However, grub still seems to be broken. As soon
as the kernel has finished booting and I try to do grub-probe or
grub-install, I get "error: unknown filesystem".

Here is the output of grub-probe -vvv / (I am typing it from the screen, so
I omitted the line id)

Detecting zfs...
opening the device /dev/sda in open_device()
label ok 0
reusing open device /dev/sda
reusing open device /dev/sda
reusing open device /dev/sda
reusing open device /dev/sda
label ok 1
reusing open device /dev/sda
reusing open device /dev/sda
reusing open device /dev/sda
label ok 2
reusing open device /dev/sda
reusing open device /dev/sda
reusing open device /dev/sda
label ok 3
reusing open device /dev/sda
reusing open device /dev/sda
zfs detection failed

Would be grateful for any advice. I don't understand why grub seems to be
able to use ZFS during boot but not afterwards to update its configuration.

Best regards,

Till