[zfs-discuss] upgrade pool

Gordan Bobic gordan.bobic at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 11:21:53 EDT 2015

On 20/09/15 16:00, Sander Klein via zfs-discuss wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I was wondering if there is a chance a zpool upgrade could make pool
> unusable. Normally I do this blind. But somehow I've got the creeps
> about upgrading one pool.

It can render your pool unbootable if you are have /boot on zfs, since
grub doesn't understand all features of zfs.

If your /boot is not on a zfs pool then it shouldn't cause problems, but
you will use interoperability with older versions of ZoL and other
implementations lacking the features. For my most inconvenient to
restore from backups pools I stick with pool version 28 since that is
compatible with all existing implementations (OpenSolaris, FreeBSD, ZoL,
zfs-fuse (if you use my pool28 feature branch on github)).

Gordan