[zfs-discuss] cannot upgrade pool, out of space

Grant Albitz Grant at schultztechnology.com
Tue Sep 29 08:52:40 EDT 2015

I have a pool ~ 3.4tb

I intentionally created a zvol that used nearly all of the space of the pool (when creating the zvol I create it to the highest available MB through trial and error). I am unable to upgrade the zpool as a result, the error returned is that it is out of space.

Lesson learned I guess. Is this expected behavior? If so I will be sure to leave some additional space in future builds of the server (a home lab). How much free space is required/recommended for changes such as this down the road?