[zfs-discuss] I/O Perf of RAID0 vs RAID10

Edward Ned Harvey (zfsonlinux) zfsonlinux at nedharvey.com
Thu Apr 21 22:31:27 EDT 2016

> From: Lindsay Mathieson [mailto:lindsay.mathieson at gmail.com]
>
> Actually I thought 2 disk RAID0 and 4 Disk RAID10 had the same throughput -
> both are striping rights between 2 sets of disks.

If you have 2 disks raid0, they're able to write as fast as 2 disks, and they're able to read as fast as 2 disks.
If you have 4 disks raid10, they're able to write as fast as 2 disks, and they're able to read as fast as 4 disks.

> Regards we are limited to the
> 1G Ethernet speed, so writes max out at approx 115 MB/s.

For sustainable throughput, 1GigE is equivalent to approx a single HDD. But the 1GigE will not limit your IOPS, so for IOPS, the 4-disk raid10 is still faster.

You might consider the cheapest 10GigE possible.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122529