[zfs-discuss] zfs test on external USB connected Hard drive => unstable

Fred Liu Fred_Liu at issi.com
Sat Apr 23 23:44:49 EDT 2016

it looks like reboot is a must if we want to run zfs-related commands tough the system is actually well. Yes, it is really annoying.

Thanks.

Fred

On Sat, Apr 23, 2016 at 7:11 PM -0700, "Jérôme Lanteri via zfs-discuss" <zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org<mailto:zfs-discuss at list.zfsonlinux.org>> wrote:

Yes Tren, i know that the technology works... works while there is no
problem of connection, if there is one, after that (and after connection
has been repair), no more... i think this is the problem.

I suggested, in fact that, in reality (i think the reality of what can
happen in the life has not to be deny when something is madez for
humans), when something USB cabled is connect, if there is no system for
unmount/export automatically when this happen (because this could
happen, and it will happen by the time, it is sure 100%), then the risk
is to have after that commands "zfs" and "zpool" unusable. And that is a
problem to resolve.

So that is why i said, zfs is yet definitly not ready for external HDD
usb connected (or in general, everything is connected and could be
remove/unconnect suddenly).

Now i would like to know if this reality every body could observe and
reproduce, will be considered has a problem (and then be resolved by the
time), or not ?

thank you for your answer Tren.