[zfs-discuss] Fedora 23 not booting fr zfsI'm reporting here,

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O) rudd-o at rudd-o.com
Tue Apr 26 01:45:02 EDT 2016

On 04/25/2016 03:18 AM, covici at ccs.covici.com wrote:
> I get sort of similar results using gentoo, it mounts the root file
> system, but not any others in the pool and I have a separate /usr where
> systemd lives.

Now is a good time as any to remind folks that separate /usr is no
longer supported in most distributions.  I used to maintain a fork of
the dracut stuff that would specifically mount /usr after /, but that
was before /usr stopped being supported.  It is not possible under the
current Dracut approach to detect which dataset would need to be mounted
at /usr at the time that the systemd generators execute (before pool
import).

If you would like that to work, you will need to hack your initial RAM
disk to add support for your custom /usr such that your /usr is mounted
prior to pivot_root in the initial RAM disk, and then maintain that hack
separately.

Note that, even with the hack, your system might no longer power off
cleanly as well.

--
    Rudd-O
    http://rudd-o.com/